Monday, July 29, 2013

Tile Coasters

I am super exited to share this new project with you.

It's so simple, cheap and so much fun ;0)

All you need is the following:

- white tiles (11cm X11cm in my case)
             -> you can get these for less then $0.20 at any Lowe's
- Mod Podge (what would we be without it ;0)
- small sponge brush
- clear acrylic sealer (spray can)
- felt pads 




Step 1:
Measure your tile and cut the paper/ image you want to add slightly smaller. 
My tile was 11cm X 11cm, so I made my paper 10cm X10cm.

Step 2:
 Use the sponge brush and add a thin layer of  Mod Podge to the back side of your paper/image.

Step 3:
Place the paper (Mod Padge side facing down) on the tile and make sure it lays flat on the tile. 

Let it dry for 15 minutes.

Step 4:
Add any kind of embellishments you want (rhinestones, stickers...). But make sure that, if the embellishments are 3 dimensional (like rhinestones), that they are positioned towards the edges of the tile. 
Otherwise you will not be able to put anything on the finished coaster afterwards.

Step 5:
Once you are satisfied with the layout of the tile, take it outside or to a well ventilated area and spray it with the clear acrylic sealer.
Let the sealer dry for 15 minutes.

Repeat step 5 two more times.

Step 6:
Add the felt pads (one for each corner) to the back side of the tile. This will prevent your coaster to scratch any surface underneath it.

And that's it. 

Didn't I say it's fast and easy ;0)

Enjoy!

Here are some samples of my work:




For this set I used in addition to the 11cm X 11cm tile also a slightly larger one 15cm X 7cm. 
While I use the square tile for my coffee mug, I put creamer and sugar or some cookies on the rectangle one.

I used paper from the "Every Day Tango" designer paper stack, the word "Cafe" I printed with the Silhoutte out of grey adhesive vinyl. 



I got the digital images of the boatswhich I printed on regular paper, from Etsy. I bought them from CobraPrints, which has a large selection of cute images. 

For the last tile, I used Mod Podge to cover the bottom with sand and small sea shells.

Important: If you add sand and sea shells to your design, make sure that you spray your tile with the acrylic sealer, after you added these items.

For these 2 tiles I used as background paper from the "Every Day Tango" designer paper stack.
I got the digital images of the coffee mugs, which I printed on regular paper, from AudreyJeanneRobertsEtsy store. Her images were a perfect fit for my coasters. 
For this tile I used as background paper from the "Every Day Tango" designer paper stack. The image is a sticker I had laying around.



No comments :

Post a Comment